1 cup of dried Red Lentils
1 cup of Soup Mix (Dried Pearl Barley & Split Peas)
1 Ham or Pork Hock
4 Litres or Quarts of water
1 Turnip or swede (diced)
1 Brown Onion (diced)
1 stalk of Celery (diced)
1 Parsnip (diced)
2 Carrots (diced)
1 1/2 dessertspoons (30g) of Mild Curry Powder
2 teaspoons (10g) of dried Mint Flakes -- Secret Ingredient
2 Vegetable Stock Cubes
1. Add red lentils, Soup Mix and half of the water to a large pot with lid which sits on a hot plate on the stove.
2. Leave overnight.
3. Drain water from the pot and put back on the stove.
4. Add the other half of the water to the pot, stir with a wooden spoon and turn the heat on to High.
5. Add diced vegetables and Hock to pot.
6. Add Curry, Mint Flakes and Vegetable Stock to pot and stir well.
7. Replace lid and bring almost to the boil.
8. Simmer on low heat for 2 hours.
9. Turn off heat.
10. Remove Hock bone from pot and mash vegetables in pot. Make sure Ham pieces are small in size.
11. Sit on stove with no heat for 1 hour.
12. Serve with fresh bread and butter.